Tuesday, October 18, 2011

High Hopes!

Next time your found, with your chin on the ground
There a lot to be learned, so look around

Just what makes that little old ant
Think he'll move that rubber tree plant
Anyone knows an ant, can't
Move a rubber tree plant

But he's got high hopes, he's got high hopes
He's got high apple pie, in the sky hopes

So any time your gettin' low
'stead of lettin' go
Just remember that ant
Oops there goes another rubber tree plant


     Couldn't have said it better myself.  For those of you that know me, I am a bit of a Sinatra fan.  So in the past few weeks, this song seems to have fit into my life in so many ways! personally, Philly sports-wise, and of course professionally w/ technology integration.

     From a personal viewpoint, I have high hopes for many reasons.  One , with my daughters recent engagement, I have very high hopes that she has found her soul mate and that she have a life full of fun, happiness, and prosperity.  My guess is that this is the hope that all parents have for their kids.  With a son heading off to college next year, I have high hoped for his ability to live on his own, make the right decisions,and choose a career path that will be fun and not a job,  I also have extremely high hopes that I will be able to pay for it all!!!  (Is anyone counting how many times I type 'High Hopes'?)

     Maybe it's has to do with the air, an injection we are given at birth, or the proverbial, "It must be something in the water", but we as Philly Sports fans constantly have high hopes.  None more so than this past baseball season, and the current football schedule.  When hopes are dashed, why is it that we cry, curse, cringe and then collect ourselves to the tune of "We'll' get 'em next year!"  It has to be because we all have 'High Hopes'  It's a gene that we have.  Seems a bit ironic that with the swoon of the Phillies this year, it was s song that the late and great, Harry Kalas made famous!  Would Ryan Howard actually be able to move a rubber tree plant?   Let's Go Flyers!!!

     Of course, we come to technology.  What better way to start my day than with 'High Hopes'.  I truly do have high hopes every day.  I hope that one teacher will realize the potential that exists in each and everyone of their students that when given an opportunity to try something new in technology integration, the kids will rock! They are digital natives and can problem solve technology like it's second nature.   I saw a clip on the news this week where a nine month old, yes a nine month old had been exposed to an Ipad for a few weeks.  Next,the child was playing with a magazine and was videotaped trying to scroll the page and click on pictures!  A nine month old figured it out!!!  If you have a minute or two, check out this 2 year old w/ an Ipad on YouTube...amazing!
     Two year Old w/ Ipad


     I have hope that teachers will begin to let go and let the student becomes the teacher.  I have hope that we can give instructors the confidence that their kids do not need step by step instructions on how to complete a task using technology.  In the brief time spent in this job, I am constantly amazed at the accelerated learning curve that kids have, whether it's excel, movie maker, edmode,...the list goes on and on.  We as teachers have that gene that we want our students to be successful.  We want that bar of expectation to be raised so high.   However, for some reason, they have to learn it from us, or we need to be in control. If I as a teacher am not giving them step by step directions, they will never get it.  Really?  If they are able to figure it out for themselves do we fear becoming obsolete, or that we didn't do our job correctly? Would the learning objective become unmeasurable if we are not fully responsible for the students grasping the concept?.  For whatever the reason, I feel that I need to help teachers let go.  Seriously, what's the worst thing that could happen.  They are not going to break it!

    So keep your hopes high!  Sing the song next time you have a chance.  It's quite a catchy tune. 

    Please post your thoughts.  I'd love to hear what you have as 'High Hopes'



1 comment:

  1. Great post-I have high hopes of a technology conference put on by the NPSD employees already doing great things with technology across all subject areas- a make it, take it for all. Let's use our strength from within to increase the innovations happening K-12. NPSD Innovations 2012- Let's make it happen.

    ReplyDelete